Istanbul New Airport is one of the most modern and largest airports in the world, situated northwest of the city in the district of Arnavutköy. The airport was officially opened by the Turkish president Erdogan on 29 October 2018, the national day in Turkey. In the weekend of 6 April 2019 it replaced Istanbul Atatürk Airport as the primary passenger airport serving Istanbul.
Today, the airport can handle 90 million passengers per year. In the future, Istanbul New Airport will be able to handle 200 million passengers per year. The national flag carrier Turkish Airlines is responsible for 80% of the total number of flights at Istanbul Airport.
Istanbul New Airport is located on the European side of Istanbul, the second airport of the city Istanbul Sabiha Gökcen Airport is located on the Asian side.
Book a taxi from Istanbul New Airport to your hotel.
Thanks to the Istanbul New Airport reviews on our website we were able to make a list of the pros and cons of Istanbul Airport:
Pros / Advantages Istanbul New Airport
- Impressive terminal (modern architecture)
- Everything feels new
- Inexpensive airport buses to the city centre
- You feel very safe
- Not overcrowded as Istanbul Atatürk Airport
Cons / Disadvantages Istanbul New Airport
- Not enough seats for those waiting
- Not enough nearby airport hotels
- Taxiing from runway to the terminal takes too long
- Very long distances to walk inside terminal building, chance of missing connecting flight
- No fast metro or train connection to Istanbul